GEO. I. BUTLER
The heavenly angels are intensely interested in those who are fighting the good fight of faith. Our Saviour is watching earnestly the warfare between good and evil agencies. Satan is working constantly to bring in interests that will so absorb men's minds that they will lose eternity out of their reckoning. Those in high places are so deeply taken up with that which concerns common, worldly enterprises that they have no sense of their spiritual needs. For this reason the Lord has directed the establishment of institutions upon a plan entirely different from that followed by the world. {1MR 223.3}
God's purpose in giving the third angel's message to the world is to prepare a people to stand true to Him during the investigative judgment. This is the purpose for which we establish and maintain our publishing houses, our schools, our sanitariums, hygienic restaurants, treatment rooms, and food factories. This is our purpose in carrying forward every line of work in the cause. Ms 154, 1902, p.
Testimony
I greatly fear, brethren, that there are multitudes of our people who have not half learned the value of the instruction that comes to us from the messenger of God. Brethren, if you fail to make much of the counsels of God's chosen messenger, you will suffer great loss. When I review the life of that dear, precious woman, whom I honor more than any other person, I think what a tremendous responsibility she has carried. I have been in high offices myself. F
or nearly a dozen years I was president of the General Conference; and during that time I knew there was only one thing that would make my administration a safe one, and that was to follow closely what the servant of the Lord had for me. I always corresponded with her in regard to important problems, and she kindly admonished me. Sometimes the counsel came pretty close and set pretty snug; but I am glad I prayed over it a great deal, and trusted God to make matters plain; and I am glad to say that everything finally came out just had said it would. {May 28, 1913 WASe, GCB 163.5}
That dear woman has lived for
more than fourscore years, and she, of course, feels the effects of age. I
think the Lord is taking off from her some of the heavy burden of
responsibility that she has previously carried. She is not so strong as she
once was,--how could she expect to be, when she is eighty-five years old,--and
yet she is able to look after her writings and to give us good counsel. She is
not here with us this year, though she was four years ago, and really risked
her life in coming, too. But, O, what a flood of light she has left for us!
Those precious volumes,-- what could we do as a denomination without them?
And now the question is, Will we, as a people, give proper attention to these
counsels? As I advance in years, I find developing in my heart an increasing
desire that our people, our leading brethren, carefully study what these
Testimonies say, and live up to their teachings. I am watching this point
pretty closely, and I want to say a warning word here, because I am one of the
old wheel horses of this denomination, or have been, at least,--I want to
say that if we do not follow these things very closely, we shall fall into
serious difficulties. {May 28, 1913 WASe, GCB 163.6}
In later years, after being
called to the presidency of the Southern field, I corresponded with Sister
White a great deal concerning my work in that district. Elder Daniells and
Sister White had urged me to serve, in spite of my protests. I worked there
six years, as hard as I ever worked in my life, and I believe God blessed me,
too, during that administration. {May 28, 1913 WASe, GCB 163.7}
Voices: Amen! {May 28, 1913
WASe, GCB 163.8}
Now, in regard to (1)the
sanitarium work, I wish to say that some three or four sanitariums were
built in the South, in harmony, as we understood, with counsels received
through the spirit of prophecy. Sister White and I were in constant
correspondence, and I cannot tell you of the interest she manifested in building
up those institutions in the Southern field. And I cannot tell you, my
friends, how sad I feel when I see that some of them are likely to be dropped
out. One of them, I understand, has already been closed. This is not because
Sister White counseled thus, for she advised that it be permitted to live, if
possible. "Why," said a brother, "it was running in debt!" But
I wish I could tell of the hard experiences many of our greatest sanitariums
have had to go through. I remember when they started that sanitarium in
Battle Creek, the first one, that has done so much good in the past. They
hardly even had a doctor when they began, and they had to begin in a private
dwelling-house. There came a time when it appeared as if everything was
going to smash, entirely demoralized, and they had to gather all the men
together and plead with them to lend a hand in helping to relieve a difficult
situation. {May 28, 1913 WASe, GCB 163.9}
Then, too, there is the sanitarium
at St. Helena, Cal.; I am under the impression that there was a time when
they were one hundred twenty-five thousand dollars or more in debt there; and
at the same time their water supply was inadequate, and they seemed to be going
right on deeper into debt. Would it not have been sadly unfortunate if they had
given up that institution then? That institution has been prospered by the hand
of God, and it has come up to a high standard of efficiency, and is doing a
noble work. The debt has been paid by the earnings. {May 28, 1913 WASe, GCB
163.10}
And so it is, my friends, with
our sanitarium over in Colorado. I have made up my mind, though I am not
much of a sanitarium man, that the devil does not like our sanitariums very
well, and he will throw every influence possible in the way of stopping them. I
believe those institutions might be made to prosper if we could get the right
kind men to manage them. {May 28, 1913 WASe, GCB 163.11}
Brethren, we are getting
to be a great people, and we shall have to watch our(2) schools, our
educational work, and our sanitarium work. I am so thankful that our
educational work has developed, and that our children can attend our own
schools. We must be careful to live close to the Lord, and pray him to guide
us in all these matters, and to keep us walking in the light. O, I see dangers
coming to us! I see that we are letting down the lines somewhat. I believe
we are making a great mistake in our(3) music. I believe we ought to
make more use than we do of our standard hymnbook, "Hymns and Tunes."
I told you that four years ago, and now I tell it to you again. {May 28, 1913
WASe, GCB 163.12}
We must be guarded on all
points; we must keep up the standard; we must not permit ourselves to drift
like the world. Every important
religious movement in the world has started encouragingly, but by and by
wordliness has been allowed to prevail. The Catholic Church went into apostasy,
Protestantism today is drifting in the same direction. The greatest danger
we as a people have to meet, as we become numerous and prosperous, is
wordliness. Let us guard against this. Let us ever cherish the high spiritual
standard upheld by the pioneers of this message. May God help us, is my
prayer. {May 28, 1913 WASe, GCB 163.13}

No comments:
Post a Comment